Hi Alessia

Well, I am not a linux system expert, but I don't see a reason, why you
can't run Galaxy from an external drive as long as it is mounted correctly
and you have all the read and write permissions.

The basic installation of Galaxy does not need any modification. The
configuration files are created when you start the server for the first time
with " sh run.sh ".

Are you sure, you are using a 'clean' installation? or have you moved it
around? I recommend you start again from scratch, following the steps
explained on the wiki:  http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Get%20Galaxy

Regards, Hans