Looks like it's working! The problem I had run into, in hindsight, was
a) I hadn't set tool_dependency_dir as I didn't know about it
b) if I had set it, I was installing tools to
$SW/tool-name/version-number/ but the default tool wrappers in
galaxy-dist don't have version numbers set, so they will just look in
$SW/tool-name/ .

Can I suggest this be added to the wiki somewhere under the Admin
pages? Apologies if it's there, I couldn't find it except under News
Briefs at
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/News%20Briefs/2010_11_24?highlight=%28tool_dependency_dir%29
.

As well as being on the wiki it would be useful to have it (commented
out by default) in universe_wsgi.ini. I think the tool_dependency_dir
variable isn't in there at all at the moment, at least in the
galaxy-dist I have. It would also be useful to have a brief mention or
link to it on http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/NGS%20Local%20Setup to
save time for people like me who had tools installed in a non-standard
place.

Thanks again!
Clare

--