Marcel;

> well, I know I do not have to create a new AMI if I want to reuse an
> instance myself.
>
> However, I would like to share the modified GalaxyCloudman version with
> other people and therefore I do have to create an AMI.

What Enis was suggesting is using the share-a-cluster functionality
built into CloudMan. This bundles your data volumes as snapshots and
prepares a sharable cluster than anyone can initiate.

In the CloudMan interface, there is a little green button next to the
cluster name that enables this. That is definitely the easiest way to
share and distribute modified CloudMan versions.

> Ok, I will try to make this work somehow ... but I guess there are no
> immediate clues as to what could have gone wrong? Or do you have any
> ideas what I should try?

After CloudMan boots once, you need to clean up some files before
preparing an AMI. This is the automated code we use to clean up for
prepping CloudMan compatible AMIs:

https://github.com/chapmanb/cloudbiolinux/blob/master/cloudbio/cloudman.py#L87

Be careful if you run that directly. It runs immediately before bundling
and removes the ssh keys (so you don't have a backdoor to the AMI you
are distributing) so you want to do it as the last thing. It also
assumes you have unmounted all of the associated Galaxy data libraries.

Hope this helps,
Brad