On Dec 4, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Ross wrote:

> Hi Russell,
>
> Just addressing AD/LDAP authentication - authentication is trivially and best
> (IMHO) left to an external (eg apache) proxy - save yourself a lot of effort
> - it's known to work well.
> Lock down the paste process so it only talks to your apache and provide pass
> through authentication.
> Doing that deals with your first and second questions since galaxy will
> create new users as they appear if appropriately configured - although you
> are stuck with user@yourconfigured.domain as the user ids inside Galaxy even
> though the user authenticates with the sAMAccountName in the example below so
> it's the same login for all our AD logins.
>
> The recipe has been posted a few times and should be easy to find using a
> search.
>
> Something like:
>
> <Location /galaxy>
>   Options FollowSymLinks
>   AuthType Basic
>   AuthBasicProvider ldap
>   AuthzLDAPAuthoritative Off
>   AuthName "BHRI LDAP"
>   Order Allow,Deny
>   Allow From All
>   Require valid-user
>   AuthLDAPBindDN "user@domain"
>   AuthLDAPBindPassword "passwordforuser@domain"
>   AuthLDAPURL
> "ldap://172.16.1.245:389/OU=Baker,DC=bhri,DC=internal?sAMAccountName?sub?(objectClass=*)"
>   RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{AUTHENTICATE_sAMAccountName}e
> </Location>
>
> works for us on a local AD server

The documentation for the feature explained by Ross is here:

http://usegalaxy.org/production

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Smithies, Russell
> <russell.smith...@agresearch.co.nz> wrote:
> This may be a list of weird requests but our Galaxy server runs internally
> and is only accessible to our users so I’d like to make it a bit easier to
> manage.
>
> I could customize a copy but hopefully some of the “features” I’m after are
> already available. If not, I’m happy to work on them and integrate if others
> think they’ll be useful.
>

> ·         Rather than email address as usernames, we’d rather just use our
> corporate logins (lastname, first initial, eg.mine is smithiesr) Or can I
> have an alias list (like samba)?

I know this has been hacked in by another person in their instance, but you
should also not really need to do this if you use the authentication via proxy
as explained above.

> ·         Is there a bulk user creation script? Rather than have everyone
> create their own account, I’d rather do them all at once. It’s not that I
> don’t trust users but…

Accounts are automatically created when authentication is delegated to the
upstream proxy server.

> ·         Can I have every user’s home dir automagiclly added as a data dir?
> eg. I’d like to have /home/smithiesr available. Would be nice if this was
> part of a bulk useradd script

Sort of.  You could create a directory of symlinks named as the user's Galaxy
email address that link to their home directories and then set this directory
as the value of ftp_upload_dir.  The user would then see the contents of his or
her home directory on the upload form (but I imagine this would be quite slow
for large directories).  Instead of their entire directory, I'd suggest using a
subdirectory or another designated space on the filesystem.

Importing to a history via the Upload tool may fail if the Galaxy user is
unable to write to the file and/or directory since this is not what the FTP
upload functionality was originally designed for.  Documentation is here (not
all of it is relevant to this non-FTP usage):

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Upload%20via%20FTP

> ·         Any chance of AD integration? I have no idea if Python plays well
> with Active Directory and/or LDAP.
>
> ·         Is it possible to add new tools without restarting Galaxy? I know
> tool configs can be reloaded from the admin console but I’d like our users to
> be able to incorporate their existing scripts as tools. Would a local
> tool-shed make this easier?

The public tool shed or a local tool shed would allow for this.  Note that
users still need administrative privileges to install tools from a tool shed.

--nate