Moving this to galaxy-dev list.

Just wanted to share my notes on both upload options.

Although both ftp_upload_dir and 'user library import' options help in getting
data into the galaxy there are some differences in both options:
1. ftp upload option deletes original copies of files after galaxy import,
whereas the user library option doesn't delete original copies from the file
system
2. ftp option doesn't provide an option to 'sym-link' to files without copying
them in galaxy, which 'user library' option supports
3. ftp option scans configured location recursively and displays all files in
the web interface, whereas with 'user import' option you will need to organize
files in sub-directories
4. ftp option requires galaxy application user to have full permissions over
'ftp_upload_dir', whereas 'user import' will work even with read-execute
permissions (execute - for scanning the dirs) for the galaxy application user.

Both upload options are useful and have certain advantages-disadvantages
depending on your use case.

And actually you don't need a FTP server setup for transferring files into
ftp_upload_dir location as long as you take care of file system permissions. I
think the galaxy server treats 'ftp_upload_dir' location as FTP staging area -
where files can be dropped off, then galaxy imports these files in it's
application specific naming convention and deletes original copies of these
imported files from 'ftp_upload_dir' location. If one takes care of appropriate
file permissions for the galaxy application user and user-depositing files then
'ftp_upload_dir' location can be used without setting up FTP server. You can
drop of these files using any other transfer protocol as well - e.g. we have
used SCP. However, these file permission issues can be handled easily using a
FTP server program and hence FTP server option is definitely a recommended
approach.

--
Shantanu.