Hi there,
Here are three interrelated issues.

I am trying to use Galaxy with some large cancer genomic datasets here at UCSC
and do some systems biology.    I have petabyte size dataset  data libraries
which will constantly be in flux at the edges.  I would prefer to just have the
Galaxy read the metadata from the file system for  large datasets without using
the database. Is there a convenient api boundary to write an adapter to the
dataset object interface?

In the meantime, I am going to try to just import day using the link. Its great
that this feature is in already When I import into a couple of a modest
megabyte size dataset using  "Link to files without copying to Galaxy"  option,
the status never changes from "queued".  Is this a bug? Is there a known work
around? I have many large datasets.

Also, it takes a long time to expand the dataset name link.  (My experiment on
import is a data tree of about a thousand files).  Is this a known bug?

Thanks!
Ted