Thanks, but ${foo.name} did not work in the workflow to rename an output file.
It takes ${foo.name} to be a user provided parameter.

${foo.name} will definitely work in tool definitions, but that means I have to
change ALL the default tool names for all the tool in galaxy...Surely there
must be a way to rename an output file to the original input file in the
workflow step "Rename Dataset"?

Regards,

Thon de Boer, Ph.D.
Bioinformatics Guru