On Dec 29, 2011, at 12:15 AM, Cai Shaojiang wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> We are trying to install galaxy on the server (ubuntu 11), just by
> following the steps on the page "Get Galaxy: Galaxy Download and
> Installation" of galaxy wiki. But when we start running it, it shows
> the following error message.
>
> OperationalError: (OperationalError) unable to open database file
> u'INSERT INTO galaxy_session (create_time, update_time, user_id,
> remote_host, remote_addr, referer, current_history_id, session_key,
> is_valid, prev_session_id, disk_usage) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?,
> ?, ?, ?)' ['2011-12-29 04:52:46.575702', '2011-12-29 04:52:46.575719',
> None, '10.50.70.45', '10.50.70.45', None, None,
> '5a38b2a7e6d77a7145726cb0881eadf6', 1, None, None]
>
> It seems something wrong with the write permission. Could you give any
> hint where the problem could be? Thanks.

Hi Cai,

I've moved this over to the galaxy-dev list since it pertains to a local
installation.

Please make sure that the galaxy-dist/database/ directory is writable by the
user running the Galaxy server.  Also, if you plan to use this server for
anything other than single-user development, I would suggest switching to a
PostgreSQL server.  This is trivial on Ubuntu (apt-get install postgresql,
createuser/createdb, then edit universe_wsgi.ini as described at
http://usegalaxy.org/production ).

--ndate