>From the doc:

By default,
mod_rewrite<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_rewrite.html>
configuration
settings from the main server context are not inherited by virtual hosts.
To make the main server settings apply to virtual hosts, you must place the
following directives in each
<VirtualHost><http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#virtualhost>
 section:

I guess the default site enable VirtualHost (port 80) for my entire site,
thus rewrite rules won't be inherited, thus need to specify under
VirtualHost Section.

Thanks again, cheers,
Derrick