> This indicates that set_meta is running locally, in the runner process.
>  Can you make sure there's not a typo in your config?  The other
> possibility is that external metadata setting failed and it's being retried
> internally (if that was true, you'd see messages indicated such in the
> server log).
>
> I'm pretty sure there isn't a typo.  Here is anything meta related (with
comment lines removed) in my universe_wsgi.*.ini files:

[galaxy@bic galaxy-dist]$ grep set_meta *.ini
universe_wsgi.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
universe_wsgi.runner.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
universe_wsgi.webapp.ini:set_metadata_externally = True

[galaxy@bic galaxy-dist]$ grep meta *.ini
universe_wsgi.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
universe_wsgi.runner.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
universe_wsgi.webapp.ini:set_metadata_externally = True

I just tried it again on some BAM files, and nothing comes up in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/httpd/error_log.  Runner0.log also doesn't
show anything except for the upload job being completed.