Ah, following the lead in the log paid off. I had to add the statement
*XSendFilePath
/panfs/galaxy_data *to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Apparently ever since I
had moved the dataset directory to /panfs/galaxy_data by setting the
"file_path" variable in universe_wsgi.ini I have not attempted to view a
dataset, and so I didn't even notice that the functionality broke when I
moved it at first. I just needed to point XSendFilePath to the new
directory and it worked. I hope this helps someone else if they encounter
the same problem.

Cheers,
Josh