Hi Dannon,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Dannon Baker <dannonba...@me.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Carlos Borroto <carlos.borr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if is possible to pass runtime values to workflows
>> thought the API? I want to run the same workflow for several inputs,
>> but there are values other than the inputs that I need to change for
>> each run. Is it possible to leave these values as 'To be set at
>> runtime' and set them through the API?
>>

> Not yet, though this is something I've wanted to add for a while now.

Great, I'll be looking forward this functionality.

>> Also, I see 'Step Actions' do not support the option of 'To be set at
>> runtime', could this be included in a future release, in other words,
>> can this be a feature request?
>
> Which step actions would this be appropriate for?   The rename action can
> accept a workflow parameter which would provide runtime naming functionality.

If I recall correctly during a recent email exchange[1], you commented
this is only something that it is in the wish list. Maybe I confused
the feature in my previous email. Is it possible to use workflows
parameter in the rename action? If so, please could you comment on how
can I do it?.

And yes, you are correct, I can't think of any cases where using a
workflow parameter wouldn't solve my needs for a renaming edit action,
still exposing these values to the API via runtime functionality, I
think it would gives even more freedom. Not a priority for sure.

Either way, exposing runtime values to the API with edit actions using
workflows parameters or both workflows parameters and edit actions
being able to be set at runtime with these values exposed to API,
would solves my current needs.

[1]http://galaxy-development-list-archive.2308389.n4.nabble.com/How-to-set-output-name-programmatically-in-workflows-using-the-API-td4285907.html

Thanks a lot for all your effort,
Carlos