Why do you need to create a proxy?  The way I have ours set up is within a
virtual host:

 <VirtualHost>

  <Location "/">
    AuthName "Helix Systems"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthBasicProvider ldap
    AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
    AuthLDAPUrl ldaps://helixdrive.nih.gov/ou=Users,ou=helix.nih.gov,o=scb?uid
    AuthLDAPBindDN "cn=maccount,ou=Special,o=scb"
    AuthLDAPBindPassword ********
    Require valid-user
    RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{AUTHENTICATE_uid}e
    Options None
    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from all
  </Location>

  RewriteRule ^/static/style/(.*)
/data/galaxy/pro/static/june_2007_style/blue/$1 [L]
  RewriteRule ^/static/scripts/(.*) /data/galaxy/pro/static/scripts/packed/$1
[L]
  RewriteRule ^/static/(.*) /data/galaxy/pro/static/$1 [L]
  RewriteRule ^/favicon.ico /data/galaxy/pro/static/favicon.ico [L]
  RewriteRule ^/robots.txt /data/galaxy/pro/static/robots.txt [L]
  RewriteRule ^(.*) http://helixweb4.cit.nih.gov:8080$1 [P]

 </VirtualHost>

David