Your scenario is correct in that terminating and restarting a new instance
charges you again, while stopping and restarting will not.  Amazon charges you
at instance request time the entire hourly rate for that instance, whether you
start it at 12:01 or 12:59 and only get one minute of usage.  Restarting just
uses the same instance that you already paid for, but you'll be charged again
at the top of the hour.

Because of this, Cloudman's autoscaling follows two basic rules:

1) Start instances up to the threshold set (max instances) if jobs are waiting
in the queue.  We use the current job throughput rate and the number of queued
jobs to decide when to start an instance.  For instance, if you have 1 job in
the queue and you're flying through jobs at a high rate, don't start a new
instance as it'd be a waste.
2) Kill all idle instances past the minimum threshold at 55 minutes past the
hour.

The reason for #2 is that if you've already paid for an instance, there's no
point in shutting it down early.  You can always start it back up in less than
a minute as demand requires.  We never stop a node.  Once you've paid for it,
there simply isn't a reason to do this.

EBS volumes are a separate issue.  Your cluster has several volumes attached to
the master node and shared with the workers via NFS.  It does not matter how
many workers you have (other than data I/O costs, which are incredibly minor).

Let me know if I can provide more information.  Thanks!

Dannon