Yeah, there is not currently a great solution to this problem.  Some have
implemented a tools just like David's.  You could also get around setuid with
sudo, although the security implications are probably the same.

I think the ideal system would be to start Galaxy as root, drop privileges, and
then only regain them as necessary for these operations.

--nate