Hello Shaun,

Would this tool generate the type of statistics you are interested in?

NGS: Picard (beta) -> Insertion size metrics for PAIRED data

Another option is to convert the BAM alignments to SAM and then interval format, then use "Operate on Genomic Intervals -> Cluster", followed by "Base Coverage of all intervals ", but this would be grouping the data, not providing statistics per paired read set.

Hopefully one of these will work out for you or another useful idea will be suggested,

Best,

Jen
Galaxy team