On Mar 22, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Alfonso Núñez Salgado wrote:

> Hi Andreas:
>
>   As far as I know Galaxy is designed to manage its own users and not to be
> integrated in any other platform. I think that the idea is to use galaxy as
> another user of your system.

Hi Alfonso,

Andreas is referring to recent changes that allow jobs to run as users other
than the single Galaxy user that started the server process.  See:

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster#Submitting_Jobs_as_the_Real_User

> On 20/03/12 16:31, Andreas Kuntzagk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I (re-)installed galaxy on our server and managed to set it up to run jobs
>> through our cluster (GridEngine). It's also running behind an Apache proxy
>> now.
>> But now I'm wondering how to setup to have the cluster jobs run as the real
>> cluster users. I found the documentation on this topic a little thin.
>> We use NIS for managing users and passwords across the cluster. How do I
>> connect that to Galaxy?
>>
>> regards, Andreas

Andreas,

You'll need to have Apache authenticate your users, as explained here:

    http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Apache%20Proxy

For NIS without Kerberos, you'd probably need to use mod_auth_pam to
authenticate through your system's PAM stack.

--nate