You can use $input.name to get the name you see in the history.
Unfortunately, that usually is something silly like "Samtools on data 3"....

I have changed all the labels for all the major file that are produced to provide more sensible names, usually based on the input...
An example below is how I use the original name of the BAM file when I convert it into a SAM file but just taking the prefix of the input1 and adding ".sam" at the end.

I am using the special parsing language that Galaxy is using to split the extension from the file name using the os.path.splitext function...

Untill Galaxy comes up with a better way to maintain the original file names somehow, this is your best shot...

Thon

  <inputs>
    <param name="input1" type="data" format="bam" label="BAM File to Convert" />
    <param name="header" type="boolean" truevalue="--header" falsevalue="" checked="False" label="Include header in output" />
  </inputs>
  <outputs>
    <data format="sam" name="output1" label="#echo os.path.splitext ( str ( $input1.name ) ) [ 0 ] #.sam" />
  </outputs>