On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2012, at 7:30 AM, Peter Cock wrote:
>>
>> Have you seen the README file that comes with the
>> Blast2GO wrapper? Perhaps the 'install from toolshed'
>> could be tweaked to make this kind of documentation
>> more visible...
>
> If you are installing a single repository that contains a file named one of
> (case is ignored) readme, readme.txt, read_me, read_me.txt, the contents of
> the file will be displayed on the "tool panel section selection page".  An
> example using the antismash repository on the main tool shed is below.  This
> new feature is available in change set revision 6945:5ea04ccb61e8, which is
> currently running on the Galaxy tool shed and our central development
> repository.  It will be available in the next Galaxy distribution.

Great. In this case I've actually called the file blast2go.txt (to match
the use of blast2go.xml and blast2go.py). I didn't want to use a
generic name like README since there could be other tools
installed in the same folder (this predates the auto-install system).
Is this naming pattern common used enough to justify including in
the Galaxy Tool Shed code for spotting a README file?

> Care must be taken when following instructions in README files since some of
> the information may be outdated.  For example, the Galaxy functional test
> framework was recently enhanced to support testing tools included in
> installed repositories, but I've seen some README files currently in
> repositories that instruct installers to move test data to the Galaxy
> installation environment, which is no longer necessary.

Some of my tools' README files will need a little clarification following
those changes to Galaxy.