No joy.  I cannot even find acknowledgement that galaxy is loading any of
my tools or of those in the directory that follows.  The tool is called
analyze_reads and "cat paster.log| grep analyze_r| less produces an end of
file.  The last tool load showing is vcf_tools_extract, but all beyond that
also load and are usable in workflows EXCEPT analyze_reads when any
parameter is specified type="float" or type="integer".  The tools I am
using to edit the files are set for UTF-8 encoding but are not in fact
capable of sending anything but plain old ASCII.  (the very basic vi as my
X isn't working at the moment).

Still examining paster.log was an education.  I am pleased that it got by
many reported errors and still picked up my scan_reads tool.

I guess my next act is to run siege and see if all the instances are
actually responding

Thank you much for the suggestion.  I really needed to see paster.log.