OK, this pointed me to the right direction.
The universe_wsgi.ini file has a key that reads:

database_connection = sqlite:///./database/universe.sqlite?isolation_level=IMMEDIATE

This entry was commented out in my version of the file (ie, had a # in front of it). While Galaxy itself uses this database connection by default, but the cleanup script looks for this config file entry to locate the database. So, if anyone encounters the same problem, just un-comment this entry and all runs fine.

Thanks for your help, Michael.