Hello Brian,

It's not quite clear of if you want to load data with the Upload tool or download/access existing datasets. It is most likely the first, but please clarify if you still need help.

To load data into Galaxy:

-> The data source is from another location on your file system, then first load the data into a Library. You can actually load or just link the data as explained in this wiki. Once in a Library, data can then be loaded into histories as datasets.
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Uploading%20Library%20Files

-> The data is remote, load it using FTP following the instructions in this wiki. Once loaded into the FTP staging area, data can be loaded into histories as datasets.
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/FTPUpload

Best,

Jen
Galaxy team