On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:31 PM, Ciara Ledero wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> According to Galaxy, uploading files larger than 2GB will surely fail. For
> this reason, uploading via FTP is recommended. Unfortunately, I cannot
> download/install an FTP server for Galaxy since I am working on a remote
> server. I only have access to it via Xming. Is there anyway to allow FTP
> upload, without using ProFTPd? Can I use Mozilla's fireFTP or Linux's own
> FTP? (Actually, I tried to connect to Galaxy, but I was denied access.).
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi Ciara,

ProFTPd is not required.  If your Galaxy users already have a way to access the
server directly, that access method is fine.  You simply need to create a
top-level directory under which you create directories for each user.  Then,
set the top level directory as the value of 'ftp_upload_dir' in the config
file, and set 'ftp_upload_site' to something other than the default 'None'.

e.g.:

/scratch/galaxy/upload
/scratch/galaxy/upload/us...@example.org
/scratch/galaxy/upload/us...@example.org