And the saga continues. For those who came in late - I've installed a local
toolshed, which allows me to create repositories, but every time  I attempt to
upload files, it errors out with "TypeError: array item must be char". Working
off the latest Galaxy bleeding edge copy has failed to fix this. Things I've
looked at:

- Initial os was CentOS (4?), Mercurial 2.1.2, Python 2.6.4, with sqlite. Also
tried with Ubuntu 10.04, Python 2.7.
- The Mercurial and Python I used was is local to the account I was working in,
so maybe the toolshed was getting confused with another version. Nope - there's
no hg on the system. Galaxy seems to be calling the right Python (libraries)
- This happens with plain text and binary files. I haven't attempted to upload
an archive yet
- Figured there could still be something peculiar to my environment, so
installed Galaxy on a fresh server I had elsewhere (the Ubuntu one listed
above). Nope - exactly the same error.
- As there are some reported issues of Windows file names with Unicode under
Mercurial, and I'm uploading from a Windows machine, I used a Mac to create a
repo and add a file. Nope, same behaviour.
-  Further investigations reveal that the files appear to be in the repo
(database/community_files). The error occurs in the middle of Mercurial, in
manifest.py where it attempts to coerce a Unicode string into a character
array. The Cistrome galaxy fork
(https://bitbucket.org/cistrome/cistrome-harvard/src/e7e2fdd74496/lib/galaxy/webapps/community/controllers/upload.py)
 mentions occasional similar errors.
- Wondered if it was specific to my db setup. Used Postgres instead, same
behaviour.
- The only changes I make to community_wsgi.ini are setting the host and port,
setting the database details, and setting the admin user

Frankly, I'm fresh out of inspiration. There must be something I'm consistently
doing (or not doing). Any suggestions - or wild-ass guesses - where to look
next?

----
Paul Agapow (paul-michael.aga...@hpa.org.uk)
Bioinformatics, Health Protection Agency

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is
confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person
without the express authority of the HPA, or the intended
recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part
of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept
for computer viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before
opening or saving. HTTP://www.HPA.org.uk