> Let me give an example of something that I do. I have the user select a file
> after which I, using dynamic_options, extract the column names and present
> those to the user with a select input parameter. With the selected column
> name I then present a new select input parameter with all the unique values
> of the selected column.
>
> To get this to work I am now using three pages since it is really dynamic,
> thus after each parameter (that uses dynamic_options) I need to make a new
> page to use the selected item, thus:
>
>      <page>
>          <param name="input_dataset" type="data" format="tabular, txt"
> label="Input dataset" />
>      </page>
>      <page>
>          <param name="colfilter" type="select" multiple="False" label="Select
> Filtering Column"
>                 dynamic_options="get_columns( input_dataset )" />
>      </page>
>      <page>
>          <param name="filter_values" type="select" multiple="True"
> label="Select Filtering Values"
>                 dynamic_options="get_filter( input_dataset, colfilter, 2 )" />
>      </page>
>
> This works fine, however it requires three pages which is deprecated. The
> documentation says 'use refresh_on_change' which is an undocumented feature
> (please (please!!) fix this!) with no examples anywhere on how to replace
> common <page> usage.

refresh_on_change is not meant to be used explicitly in a tool's config file;
it is an internal feature used by Galaxy to refresh pages as necessary, such as
for conditionals. Also, dynamic_options has been deprecated in favor of the
<options> tag.

> So given above example (which is similar to what the original requester
> asked), where to place the refresh_on_change option to get it working?

If I'm reading your code right, this should be possible using the <options> tag
only. First, select the dataset and then use something like for subsequent
parameters:

<options from_dataset="input_dataset">
            <column name="name" index="0"/>
            <column name="value" index="0"/>
            <filter type="unique_value" name="unique" column="0"/>
 </options>

Best,
J.