No, this was all an idea I've had for a while, but never did anything about it.
 I'm pretty sure the Galaxy developers are not interested in anything this
locally-centric, and I don't blame them.  It ought to be something outside the
Galaxy build completely, because Galaxy is meant to be system-independent.

What I meant by 'joint user/galaxy directory' is a directory that is owned by a
user, but that the galaxy user has read (and possibly write) access to.  This
is entirely possible given either a well-informed user population, or an
iron-clad suexec executable.

The mechanism I alluded to is a feature by which a user can upload a directory
of files all at once.  There is a configuration directive in universe_wsgi.ini,
user_library_import_dir, that allows non-administrative users to upload an
entire directory of files into a library.  The directive identifies the base
directory, within which subdirectories named as the galaxy user login (email
address) are searched.  The user_library_import_dir directory is owned by the
galaxy user, and the subdirectories are owned by the user, but group owned by
the galaxy user.  A user will copy files to the subdirectory, login to galaxy,
switch to their library, and upload all the files in the directory into a
single library folder.

There isn't much documentation about it in the main Galaxy wiki, so forget
that.  I haven't enabled it in our local production site, and I haven't played
with it in a long time.  I'm pretty sure that the files are not removed after
uploading, and a user is free to re-upload the files again and again, so it's
kind of quirky.  Also, if the files are not readable by the galaxy user, a
bizarre and unhelpful error is thrown.

If this functionality could be extended and elaborated, it could do what you
want.  The user_library_import_dir requires that the user's login in Galaxy
must be identical to the the user's login on the cluster, and that the
permissions be kept correct.  Typically users have no idea what is going on
with their permissions, so what are you going to do?

David