Hi Madeleine,
By design (ie, for your own benefit), there is no way for anyone but
yourself to check on the status of an AWS instance once started. In order
to check what happened and if an instance got started, you should log into
https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/home with the same AWS credentials you
used on biocloudcentral.org and check your instance. There, under instance
properties, you should also be able to get the public IP of an instance.

This is not the expected behavior of the above portal so if happens again,
please let us know again so we can dig a deeper.

Enis