On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Sarah Diehl <di...@immunbio.mpg.de> wrote:
> Thanks Peter! It's very likely that I have the exact same problem, because I
> also have CentOS and needed to compile Python.

In that case make sure you've done this:

sudo yum install openssl openssl-dev

and then repeat the Python 2.6 configure, make, make test, make install.

Peter

P.S. We also wanted this:

sudo yum install bzip2 bzip2-devel

At the end of the configure output you get told what Python modules
are disabled due to missing libraries - check this list for any other
potential problems later on.