Hi, Ciara,

AFAIK new tools always require a server restart at present, but an
already loaded tool can have updates to the tool XML re-read using the
'Reload a tool's configuration' option from the administrative menu if
your login is listed as an administrator in the config file.

Restarting Galaxy seems relatively benign if jobs are running on a
cluster. SGE jobs (eg) will be correctly handled and managed. Busy
users may see a service unavailable message from Apache for the time
it takes to restart but in my experience they can generally cope with
the occasional unscheduled server bounce to import a new tool - YMMV