On Jun 8, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Raj Ayyampalayam <ra...@uga.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am interested in this "local upload file" tool. Can you please send the
>> files to me as well.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -Raj
>
> This seems a potentially very useful tool, so putting it on the Galaxy Tool
> Shed seems like a better idea (with suitable warnings in the documentation).
>
> Peter

I agree with making the tool more widely available.  Just to note, though, Nate
and I had a discussion on list about this a while back.  As Brad mentioned, if
you follow the guidelines for FTP import, any method used (not just FTP, but
scp, sftp, grid-ftp, etc.) to get data into the 'FTP' import folder works as
long as permissions on the data are set so the galaxy user on the cluster end
can read the data.  We had our local cluster admins set up a link to the user's
galaxy import folder in their home directory, so users can basically do this:

    scp mydata.fastq.gz usern...@biocluster.igb.illinois.edu:galaxy-upload

At the moment this is importing directly to the cluster that galaxy resides on,
but we could set this up to import server side.  Nate had also indicated the
'FTP-ness' in the documentation and web page would be genericized, but this
obviously hasn't happened yet…

Aside: are symlinks working with FTP imports?  We have a few users who would
like the ability to work on the command line and within Galaxy w/o having to
copy large files, so having a single data source would be nice.

chris