On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Jean-Francois Payotte
<jean-francois.payo...@dnalandmarks.ca> wrote:

> My question is then: Is it possible, from a tool, to retrieve the history ID
> of the current history?

I think the answer is no - assuming you mean tool as in the script or
binary being executed - after all the tool might be running on a cluster
node with no direct connection to the Galaxy server. But see below...

> If not, would it be possible to make some changes in galaxy's files, that
> would make the history ID appear somewhere on the galaxy page, so
> the user could manually enter the history ID as a tool parameter?

That sounds like a horrible UI :(

I do have an alternative suggestion: Is it possible for the tool XML file
to access the history ID, just like $__user_id__ can be used to get
the user's ID etc? See this wiki page for other available information:
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Config%20Syntax

It is possible this can already be done via $__app__, but as noted
on the wiki that is considered a last resort and liable to change.