Hi Peter and thank you for your answer,

I think I have misspoken when I said that I would like to retrieve the
history ID from a tool.  As you suggest, I was indeed speaking about
retrieving the history ID from the XML file instead.
And I agree with you that showing the history ID on the galaxy page would
look terrible from a GUI point of view. :)

About your alternative suggestion, I already looked at Galaxy's
environment variables (such as $__user_id__), but I don't think the
history ID can be access this way.  In fact, and I could be wrong, but
I've found that the only Galaxy's environment variables are : $GALAXY_HOME
, ${GALAXY_DATA_INDEX_DIR}, $__new_file_path__ , $__tool_data_path__,
$__root_dir__, $__datatypes_config__ , $__user_id__, $__user_email__ and
$__app__.

About the $__app__ variable.. I was aware that it might be used to
retrieve the history ID (even though I didn't found how to do it), but as
you said, this variable is marked as "to be used in last resort and that
it could go away in future releases".  So I was seeking a way to retrieve
the history ID (from the XML file) that would be stable and that would not
risks to become non-functional with new Galaxy releases..

Best regards,
Jean-Fran├žois