Hi, Jon.
You're right, there is no cel file management and that's one of many
warts needing fixing - it's not a lot of work to make a new tool to
create an eSet from a tarball of cel files as you suggest.
Unfortunately the rexpression toolkit will soon be deprecated and
disappear from the default distribution.
It's no longer under active development by me - the group I now work
with don't do microarrays much and I don't have the resources to
maintain tools we're not using.
I would be very happy to see the code taken over if anyone has the
resources but for now and will help any way I can.

(FYI: We've had some success using chipster for routine microarray
analyses from http://chipster.csc.fi/ although it's buggy and doesn't
seem to be very actively maintained)

--
Ross Lazarus MBBS MPH;
Head, Medical Bioinformatics, BakerIDI; Tel: +61 385321444;