Hi Sarah-

I'm sure others have experiences that could help, so I hope they will
chime in. Nate put together some slides two years ago on production setups,
including some architecture for the server main.g2.bx.psu.edu:
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Events/GDC2010?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=GDC2010_building_scalable.pdf

There is also a wiki page describing production environments:
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Production%20Server

Again, I'm sure others have had different experiences with both more and less
hardware on hand. Of course your mileage may vary based on the tools being used
(which in your case I'm guessing is Tophat), the number of datasets that will
need to be analyzed, and so on.

I hope that helps!

-Scott