I haven't been able to reproduce this yet with the instructions you
gave, but I'm not using the same environment. Can you give me an idea
of what tools you're using outside of SciPy/NumPy/Enthought stuff?

There is the possibility that the virtualenv.py script isn't being
sourced correctly. We can check if it's actually using the correct
environment by calling "echo $PATH" and checking that the path is
pointing to the virtual environment. For example, I installed
virtualenv stuff under /home/smcmanus/clare/galaxy_env/bin, and
I got:
(galaxy_env)$ echo $PATH
/home/smcmanus/clare/galaxy_env/bin:/usr/local/bin:<other stuff deleted>

-Scott