On 08/09/2012 03:10 PM, Björn Grüning wrote:
Hi Robert,

Hi Everyone,

Our current Galaxy instance is from August 30, 2011. This was our
first deployment, and we have never upgraded. We are going to upgrade
it, but I am trying to determine whether the best process would be to
upgrade incrementally over the six dist releases since then, or to try
and do it all in one shot, upgrading to the latest dist.

Looking at the news briefs, I'm also considering upgrading in 3 steps,
upgrade to before the major changes in the tool shed, then to the
first release with major tool shed changes, and then finally to the
latest release.

I would appreciate any insights and advice on this process.

I would backup my postgresql database and the galaxy-central folder and
upgrade all in one run.
I don't think it will be problematic.

I agree - just one minor comment, which speeds up the process (and requires less disk space):

The directory ~/galaxy-central(or galaxy-dist)/database/files/ is not touched during the upgrade process. Hence you can leave it out from your back up.

Of course it is very advisable to have full back-up as part of the general (not related to your upgrade procedure) back-up plan.

For future upgrade 'adventures', I recommend to have a test server in addition to your production server running on the same code base. This is not only handy to develop new tools, you can also test the upgrade procedure first before doing the upgrade on the production server.

Regards, Hans

Good luck :)
Bjoern

Thank you,

-Robert

Robert M. Flight, Ph.D.
University of Louisville Bioinformatics Laboratory
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY

PH 502-852-1809 (HSC)
PH 502-852-0467 (Belknap)
EM robert.fli...@louisville.edu
EM rfligh...@gmail.com
robertmflight.blogspot.com
bioinformatics.louisville.edu/lab
github.com/rmflight/general/wiki

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..." -
Isaac Asimov