On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtene...@fhcrc.org> wrote:
>> Hello, I have the following wrapper:
>>
>> <tool id="foo" name="foo" version="0.99.0">
>>   <description>foo</description>
>>   <command interpreter="python">
>>       tool.py $outputFileName
>>   </command>
>>   <inputs>
>>       <param name="tp" type="text" label="label" help="help"
>> optional="false"/>
>>   </inputs>
>>   <outputs>
>>       <data format="csv" name="outputFileName"/>
>>   </outputs>
>> </tool>
>>
>> I expect that when I click "Execute" I will be told that "tp" must
>> have a value. However, that doesn't happen, it just goes ahead and
>> executes the script.
>> How do I get Galaxy to require that a text param have a value?
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>
> Probably is has the value of an empty string? That seems
> logical but unhelpful - and explains the behaviour ;)

OK. I'll buy that. But perhaps when type="text", optional="false"
should treat the empty string as though there is no value.

> You can probably use a validator in the XML for this (e.g. insist
> on at least one character).

This worked for me:
      <param name="tp" type="text" label="label" help="help">
          <validator type="empty_field" message="don't leave the field empty!"/>
      </param>

Thanks very much!
Dan