On 08/24/2012 06:59 PM, kauerb...@comcast.net wrote:
That's very helpful. Thank you. I'm new to Galaxy. Can you tell me how
to become an 'admin' user and/or change the current admin user?

again, change the settings in "universe_wsgi.ini" by adding your e-mail (the one you use to log into Galaxy):

#admin_users = f...@bar.com

Regards, Hans

Thank you.

-Ken.

*From: *"Hans-Rudolf Hotz" <h...@fmi.ch>
*To: *kauerb...@comcast.net
*Cc: *galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
*Sent: *Friday, August 24, 2012 12:39:07 PM
*Subject: *Re: [galaxy-dev] How to speed up job execution

On 08/24/2012 05:22 PM, kauerb...@comcast.net wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > On our local instance of Galaxy jobs are taking an extremely long time
 > to run, or they are not run at all. In the history it always says "job
 > is waiting to run", even simple jobs like reformatting text files to be
 > tab delimited. Is there a way to 1) check the Galaxy job queue, and 2)
 > perhaps modify some parameters to speed up processing?

Hi Kenneth

Usually, Galaxy is not slow, but the tools executed by Galaxy are slow
(eg due to bad IO performance of the host server).

"job is waiting to run" indicates there are unfinished jobs in the
queue. There are two ways to check the queue:

If you are an 'Admin', select the Admin tab -> "Manage jobs". This will
list all running jobs. And you can kill jobs as well.

Or use the galaxy report tools and have a look at "Today's jobs"

Depending on your set-up, you might consider changing "universe_wsgi.ini":

     # Number of concurrent jobs to run (local job runner)
     local_job_queue_workers = 5

to allow more parallel jobs

Hope this helps
Hans