Thanks Greg,

In case you are not aware of it, the Galaxy tool shed wiki explains the
> tool shed:  http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Tool%20Shed

I am aware, thanks, although I won't exclude the possibility that
I've misunderstood something ...

I've "inherited" a galaxy setup from someone (details: a contractor set it
> up but left it unfinished so I'm completing the job while discovering and
> documenting what was done). The catch: it's setup as a twin galaxy instance
> with one as a front-end web-server and the other as the job runner.
>

> Just to confirm, you have set up a single Galaxy instance (with a single
> database on the back-end) with multiple web front-ends - is this correct?

Right - a single database with one web front-end and one job-runner. And
here's a detail that I forgot and may be important ... they're on different
machines. They share the db and a shared data space but are on different
VMs.

The Galaxy tool shed is a separate application that has no dependencies on
> a Galaxy instance (and vice-versa), although a Galaxy instance and a tool
> shed instance can each communicate with the other, so your question is a
> bit confusing.  A single Galaxy tool shed can be used by any number of
> Galaxy instances, so if you create a repository in a tool shed instance and
> upload tools to it, any number of Galaxy instances will be able to access
> that tool shed and install the repositories from it.

Right - but setting up the toolshed is not the confusing point for me. It's
how the job-runner gets to use a tool installed from a toolshed when it's
on a different machine to the front-end. The tool has to be installed into
the job-runner as well, right?

As said, I inherited this system, so I'm discovering how it's been setup.

cheers

Paul Agapow (p...@agapow.net)