Hi Suzan,
The problem here is that there's an absence of data for one of the genes
you want to compare, so one can't really assign any significance to that
particular gene or transcript.
This would require inventing a singificance value where if a gene is
highly expressed in one sample, but not measured at all in another, then
that gene should be said to be significantly differentially expressed.
If you are looking for situations like this I see no reason why you can't
create a rule for identifying them and pulling them out of the cuffdiff
results.
Even then, you'll have to make some decision about what FPKM value would
be significantly different from 0 in another.
Hope this helps.
Graham

Dr. Graham Etherington
Bioinformatics Support Officer,