Hi Nikhil,
Purging datasets is covered in the Galaxy Wiki.

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Purge%20Histories%20and%
20Datasets

Basically, there's a bunch of scripts in
{GALAXY_HOME}/scripts/cleanup_datasets/ that require running.

We've created a single .sh file that executes all these scripts which is
then executed itself with a cron job at midnight (and of course can be
executed whenever required).
Cheers,
Graham

Dr. Graham Etherington