Hi James,

I realize I didn't do a good job explaining, but your suggestion
sounds promising. How can I make something into a dataset?

Here's what I'm hoping to achieve:
User runs Tool1, uploading a text file and specifying some parameters.
Tool1 uses this to write out a serialized R object. Somehow this
object is persisted in Galaxy (made into a dataset).
Now the user can run Tool2 or Tool3, which each take the dataset
created in the previous step, plus some parameters of their own.

So I guess the only part I am missing is how to turn the output of
Tool1 into a dataset. Is there a way to do this other than downloading
it to my local computer and then uploading it to Galaxy? That seems
awkward....

Thanks,
Dan