You should be able to use the following:

<stdio>
  <exit_code range="1:" />
  <exit_code range=":0" />
</stdio>

Square brackets are not supported in the range.

However, note that many shells will not return an
exit code that is less than 0. Instead, the lowest
8 bits (i.e., value mod 256) will be returned. So returning -1
will give you -1 mod 256 = 255, returning -2 will give -2 mod 256
= 254, and so on. This should be true, as far as I know, for Linux
and OS X. That means that you should only need one such range to
support "not equal to 0" semantics (though your mileage may vary):
<exit_code range="1:">

There is the issue of supporting negated ranges such as "not equal to 2".
Another possibility is a set of comma-delimited ranges.
I wanted to keep the syntax as simple as possible (but no simpler),
put the functionality out there and then add whatever makes it
significantly easier to use. Supporting all exit codes could be
done with a single range, so it didn't seem as useful to add those
ranges at the time.

-Scott