On Sep 25, 2012, at 6:57 AM, Lukasz Lacinski wrote:

> On 9/24/12 12:40 PM, Nate Coraor wrote:
>> On Sep 19, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Jennifer Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> repost to galaxy-dev

>> Hi Lukasz,
>>
>> I'd suggest using whatever log rotation utility is provided by your OS.
>> You'll need to restart the Galaxy process to begin writing to the new log
>> once the old one has been rotated.
>
> Hi Nate,
>
> When Galaxy is started again, it fails because it cannot bind a socket to
> port 8080, that is already bound by child Galaxy processes orphaned by the
> former Galaxy process.
>
> When Galaxy forks to run tools, a child process does not close open
> files/sockets that the child process does not need.
>
> Thanks,
> Lukasz

I am not sure about multiple galaxy process install, but I think a logrotate
configuration with copytruncate option should work fine. For example,

{{{
/apps/galaxy/galaxy-latest/paster.log {
missingok
rotate 10
copytruncate
# logrotate script should be called by a cron job and hence daily/weekly
settings are not added to conf file.
# 'size 1' setting ensures that log file will be rotated whenevr it is called
by the cron unless size < 1 byte
size 1
compress
create 640 galaxy-user galaxy-group