On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Joachim Jacob <joachim.ja...@vib.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am writing a wrapper around Razers mapper. Currentty, Razers has three
> versions, the latest being razers3.
>
> Since it's under development, what is the best way to deal with new
> versions?
>
> - write a different tool config for every version, giving them different ids
> like 'razers3', 'razers4'. These tools will appear all simultaneously in the
> tool box. Every version needs to be installed independently from the
> toolshed.
>
> - or write a tool config with id 'razers' and set a version in the xml
> <version_command>. Then when a new version comes out, I update the wrapper
> completely to match the new version. In this way a user can select the
> different versions can be selected at the top of the tool parameters page in
> Galaxy, right? How should I deal with naming the version: follow the config
> file I wrote (version 1.0.0 for razer3, 2.0.0 for razers4  -  can cause
> confusion though.)
>
> - or write a wrapper for the tool 'razers' in general,  parsing the
> selection of which version to use to the wrapper, and deal with it over
> there?
>

> I hope I explained my issue clearly.
>
> Thanks,
> Joachim

I think that using a single wrapper only really makes sense when
the underlying tool's command line API doesn't change. Even
then, for major version jumps I personally would think a separate
tool in Galaxy makes more sense. After all, you would expect
potentially different output between versions.

i.e. I would lean to separate wrappers for razers3, razers4 etc.

I'm looking at a similar issue with MIRA, but there is an additional
complication here that the newest version also changes the MIRA
command line interface extensively.