The API allows you to do some of that...
If you pass it the ID of the object (input.id) you can do all kinds of requests
with the API.

Look in the scripts/api folder of your local Galaxy instance...

NOTE: The API seems to be a bit of a stepchild, since there is no good
documentation and it seems to be undeveloped to some extent. For instance, the
biggest issues is that you cannot pass a workflow any parameters, only inputs
and outputs...

So caveat emptor!

Regards,

Thon de Boer, Ph.D.