10 minutes is definitely way, way longer than it should take to become
responsive.  It's a little hard to guess what might have gone wrong with your
setup -- my first guess for this type of issue would be the security group
configuration, but you did say you were able to SSH in.

One easy thing to test, however, would be to launch the instance using Galaxy's
Cloud Launch at usegalaxy.org/cloudlaunch, which configures security groups and
keys for you.

-Dannon