Last night I used the Amazon console to stop my working instance. Today started
up the instance using amazon console. Waited appropriate time, using new
assigned public ip address and no response. Also did a reboot and no response.
I can ssh to the instance but do not know what to check for errors.

Should you be able to stop/start and instance in amazon console and have it
work correctly? Trying to avoid the "power down" option using the galaxy web
interface since I had the problem with new instances being started in a
different availability zone where the EBS volume was located.

Looks like I will be leaving the master instance running and contributing to
amazon profit margins!