Hi

We have several network directories that we want to link to Galaxy within the data libraries framework. The current functionality of letting users symlink files to a data library is a bit limited and a hassle, both from user as administrator perspective. It would be very handy if we could map and symlink our network directories and its contents to data libraries so that when users click on the data library they can immediately see and use the current contents of the directory. Or thus, the library should behave like a mirror of the network folder. We have already linked our LDAP to Galaxy so that the existing users and groups can easily be linked to the data libraries. In this way, only users that do have access to these folder(s) will also have access to its contents through Galaxy. Library creation and linking it to a particular role (group) is not the problem, establishing the mirror however is.
I can see this implementation comes with different questions and issues:
1. Even though an administrator can 'create' a library, the user Galaxy does not necessarily have the right permissions to these network folders in order to fill the library with the associated network files. 2. The updating of the folder could however be set as a responsibility of the users having access to these data. 2.1 Could something like the run-job-as-real-user implementation work, so that the libraries are updated by real users? 2.2 Would updating the data library on access be a good solution? Or what about providing an 'update' button next to the already fetched files? 3. Galaxy works with library data set versions on each new import/upload. Logically, this would become redundant in a mirrorring setup.

Is this setup possible/feasible? Did anybody already implemented this kind of feature? Or is the galaxy-team developing this kind of implementation? We started already digging into the objectstore code but can someone get us on the right track to tackle this problem? Any ideas/hints are most welcome!

thx
Bram