Hi Greg,

I am wondering the similar thing. If I understand Kevin's post correctly, I
think the question really is: if the automated tools build is
the requirement for creating the shed tool version specific env.sh
automatically during the shed tool installation.

Take BWA on the Tool Shed as an example, during the installation, BWA
binary was built on the fly and  the path
"tool-dependency/bwa/0.5.9/devteam/bwa_wrappers/ffa8aaa14f7c/env.sh" was
created.

But in some cases, the automated tools build is not desirable. On the
cluster that serves our Galaxy, we have had BWA compiled with the hardware
optimized compiler, and I simply want to put existing BWA path to the
env.sh without compiling another BWA that will not be used.

So it makes sense (at least to me) that the shed tool installation always
create the specific env.sh and provides the automated tools build as an
option.

Cheers,
Derrick